Dress It Up
A/W 17 Trend Review Part 2 - In praise of the dress
My name is Nikki and I am a dress-addict!
I have long been addicted to wearing dresses. Clearly the appeal of a throw-on, one-piece outfit that only needs shoes and maybe a coat to look completely pulled-together is a major bonus. But dresses are also sophisticated and comfortable – none of the tucking and untucking malarkey – so, to me, they’re utterly effortless. Having invested in dynamite dresses for years on end, I was delighted to see them adorning the a/w catwalks.
Embellished velvet, once the preserve of the nocturnal party-goer, came out to play for daytime, paired with chunky boots a la Valentino. Similarly, shimmering satins work well for day paired with flats as seen at Louis Vuitton and Paco Rabanne.
Meanwhile, nighttime is the right time for soft leather, as done to pleated perfection at Valentino, and with tough, moto detailing at Alexander McQueen.
Every Insta-starlet worth her following wore dresses all summer-long, and that go-anywhere dress is going nowhere this season! It covers more than it reveals, speaking to an easy-in-one’s-own-skin sexiness that adds to the wearer’s allure.
It is often sleeved, invariably fluted and earnestly midi in length. And I guarantee it will have you reaching for a pair of killer heels, boots or trainers, and hitting the bricks to strut your sartorial stuff all day (and night) long!
Why *Dress* Up this Season?
In terms of benefits here’s the low-down:
- Many have sleeves, so you won’t freeze
- They are midi-length, so for a while you’ll get away without adding tights
- They come in a wide array of prints, fabrics and colours – there’s gotta be something for the proverbial everyone!
- They look great with the OTK boots that are going nowhere this season, and even better with the sock-boots that we’re set to see everywhere (super-flattering on the ankle)
- They will work with your oversized maxi coat from last winter or a perennial biker jacket
- They come in boho too, so you don’t have to worry about looking too polished, unless you want to!
- Getting dressed on a rainy Monday will be a whole lot easier with your go-to fluted dress – and a whole lot more fun!
So what about the high street?
Here’s my pick of the 9 best midi dresses on the high street this season: