All White Now
How to wear white tailoring... and where to find the best on the high street
Nothing says summer in the city quite like a pristine white suit!
Beautiful white tailoring adorned the S/S18 runways, so we can expect to see a lot of it in store very soon. But white can be scary, daunting and thoroughly off-putting to wear! While I don't advocate wearing it to a 6-year old's birthday party, with modern fabrications, there are ways to wear it and still maintain this oh-so-demanding, pristinely perfect pigment. (I've had many white suits, and I've recently taken to successfully washing them in the machine - shhhhh, don't tell)!
The glamour-factor of wearing white tailoring is simply unmatched - think Bianca Jagger, whose go-to look is still a white suit 47 years after she wore one to marry Mick Jagger. Trust me, it will be well worth the extra laundry effort! Besides, summer is the time for clear drinks like G&Ts and icy-cold Sauvignon. The Malbec can remain corked until the colder months!
So here are my top styling tips for wearing white this springtime:
1. Pair with a simple, tailored white shirt buttoned to the neck to emphasise the clean lines of the white suiting.
2. Like every other colour, white comes in a myriad of tints. Don't be afraid to layer different whites together. Just make sure you wear several tonal pieces together - that way it looks deliberate, and not like one item is simply mismatched! Below, you can hopefully see how I've matched the waistcoat to my jacket, my bag and shoes and the shirt, tie, sunglasses and trousers to create layering tones of white.
3. If an all white look is too stark for you, warm it up with gold jewellery and tan accessories. Summer is the best time to find straw bags, gold shoes, tan leather sandals and golden jewellery... and there is currently a beautiful array of earthy-toned finds on the high street ~ shop my #thatssoNOW lust list for ideas ~ I've done the hard work for you!
4. For those of us still waiting for winter's icy grasp to give way to spring's milder carress, you can still experience the joy of wearing white - just add a coat! Of course it doesn't need to be white too, but if you want that all-white glamour impact, a white trench coat is perfect to throw over a white suit, and will be ideal with a floral dress on cooler spring mornings - see below for a beautiful, if pricey, Jil Sander option.
5. Details matter. Add drama and texture with bold accessories like these white earrings and frames. If going for golden accents, be sure to pick tonal colours - here I've opted for very warm golden/orange toned leather and jewellery to pull the look together.
6. A simple, copper-coloured, woven, silk scarf can add a touch of luxe to a simple white suit.
7. Don't be afraid to wear a suit with trainers and a simple t-shirt - like this sequinned white one. Or amp up the vamp with a leopard print shirt unbuttoned as far as you dare!